OPERATIONAL PROGRAM “ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT” – (EPPERAA)
The project of the Management Body of Lake Pamvotis entitled “Protection and Conservation of the Biodiversity of Pamvotis Lake”, is part of the programme “Protection of the Natural Environment and Biodiversity” of the Operational Programme “Environment and Sustainable Development” (EPPERAA) of the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) 2007-2013. The project is funded by the European Regional Development Fund and it is the main source of funds for the Management Body of Lake Pamvotis for the period 2010 – 2015.
The main objectives of the project concern the implementation of activities for the protection and conservation of the biodiversity within the area of the Management Body of Lake Pamvotis. The biodiversity conservation will be achieved by maintaining the habitat types and populations of the threatened and endangered species in a good conservation status.
The actions to be implemented concern:
- Organization of the monitoring and conservation of the protected areas’ elements and securing a good conservation status of the species and habitats living in the area.
- Enhancement of the surveillance and safeguarding of the area in co-operation with the competent authorities in order to avoid or prevent illegal activities such as fires, illegal building construction, poaching, illegal collection of endemic flora, land clearings, infillings etc.
- Promotion of the landscape and the biodiversity of the Protected Area.
- Scientific monitoring and evaluation of the conservation status of the endangered species of flora, fauna and habitats within the Protected Area.
- Scientific monitoring and evaluation of the conservation status of specific bird species, occurring in the protected area (Special Areas of Protection – SPA).
- Compilation of the protected area’s Management Plan and drafting of the relevant Rules of Procedures.
- Public awareness activities carried out by properly trained and qualified scientific staff, highlighting the importance of flora, fauna and habitats of the region, aiming to the development of a positive environmental attitude towards the protection and effective management of the area.
More specifically, the programme includes the following sub-projects:
1.Activities for the protection and conservation of the biodiversity
3.Production and installation of Environmental Interpretation means
4.Monitoring of habitat types and flora/ fauna species (except birds)
5.Monitoring of bird species
6.Public awareness and education activities