The Management Body of Pamvotis Lake from 2004 to 2006 through the programme “Information Society” of Epirus Peripheral Programme (2000-2006) carried out the project entitled “Development and implementation of intelligent telematics system for the protection – management and enhancement of the Pamvotis Lake’s hydrological ecosystem” in order to contribute to the management of Pamvotis Lake’s ecosystem. It provided stable and long-term monitoring of the lake’s physical and chemical parameters, as well as of the species and habitats.
The project was the trigger of the know-how transfer in terms of the environmental management as well as of the expansion and improvement of similar applications.
Briefly the objectives of the project included:
- Development of GIS system for the Pamvotis Lake’s hydrological area.
- Establishment of telemetric monitoring stations in four selected locations.
- Development of a database, which was collecting information from the GIS system and the telemetric stations.
- Development of an intelligent monitoring system for the measurements.
- Development of internet portal / Internet Corners.